When Brothers Cider got in touch for a collaboration using The Smokey Carter rubs and sauces and their cider, how could we refuse! With all the sunshine we have had over the Summer, we’ve spent a few lazy Summer afternoons sipping away on a few Brothers ciders. So here it is, the third recipe in collaboration with Brothers Cider…
You can check out Brothers range of ciders via their website along with the recipes we have created for them. www.brotherscider.co.uk.
With the nights drawing in and getting noticeably cooler, my mind is turning to comfort food. The idea of using the Toffee Apple Cider on chicken wings was something I had been pondering for a while. A flavour I personally associate with bonfire night and autumnal evenings. Sweet, sticky Toffee Apple Cider chicken wings sounded great, but needed a boost of heat to cut through the sweetness. Our Smokey Chipotle BBQ Rub sounded like the perfect match and for that extra kick, toss the wings in our Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce. Read on for the full recipe.
- 1kg Free range chicken wings
- 2 tbsp The Smokey Carter, Smokey Chipotle BBQ Rub
- Sunflower Oil
- 50g Butter
For the Toffee Apple Glaze
- 150ml Brothers Toffee Apple Cider
- Splash of The Smokey Carter, Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce
- 3 tbsp Golden syrup
- Prepare the chicken wings. Chicken wings are often whole when you buy them so start by cutting off the wing tip with sharp knife and discard. Next, separate the drumette, which is a mini drumstick from the wingette (forearm, also known as the flat).
- Place the wing pieces into a plastic zip lock bag and add two tablespoons of our Smokey Chipotle BBQ Rub. Massage the bag to get a nice even coating on all the wings. Leave to marinade for a couple of hours in the fridge. If you have time, leave them overnight.
- Meanwhile, make the sweet and sticky glaze. This can be done well in advance. Add all the glaze ingredients into a pan and reduce until it reaches a syrup like consistency. This should take around 10-15 minutes. The amount of hot sauce you want to use is up to you, depending on how hot you like it. Allow to cool and put in the fridge.
- Preheat your oven to 195 degrees C. Place the wings on an oiled baking sheet. Cook in the oven for around 30-40 minutes, turning half way through. The wings are done when the skin is crispy and the meat pulls away from the bone.
- Once the wings are cooked through and crispy, melt the butter in a wok and add the cooked wings. Toss in the wok until the wings are coated. Pour over the sticky toffee apple glaze and continue to toss the wings in the pan. The glaze will start to caramelise on the wings. Once they are nicely coated they are ready to serve.
- Serve with extra hot sauce on the side, garlic bread (we cooked ours on the Roccbox) and plenty of blue cheese dip (find the recipe here). Mrs Smokey makes the best ever blue cheese dip!
To get your wings super crispy, you can also deep fry them, rather than cooking them in the oven.