Alabama white sauce dipped chicken has been around for years. We spotted a recipe in DJ BBQ’s book ‘Fire Food’ and had to give it a try. We adapted it slightly and instead of using regular mayonnaise we used our Smokey Chipotle Mayo. We love using chicken thighs on the BBQ and this recipe lends itself to them perfectly. Basically crisp up the chicken on the outside and towards the end of cooking dip the chicken in the white sauce bath and place back in the BBQ on an indirect heat. You can keep giving the chicken a bath every few minutes and a lovely glaze will build up. As their is no sugar in the white sauce it won’t burn like doing this with a BBQ sauce. We dipped our 5 times until the chicken was cooked through.
1kg Chicken Thighs
For the White Sauce
160g Jar of Smokey Chipotle Mayo
120ml Cider Vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
1cm Fresh Horseraddish Root (use 1 tbsp Horseraddish Sauce if you don’t have root)
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp Pepper
1 tsp Oregano
- Combine all the white sauce ingredients and whisk until smooth. Set aside until required.
- Set up the BBQ with the coals to one side so you can both cook over the coals and cook indirectly with the BBQ lid on.
- Once the coals are ready to cook on place the chicken thighs directly over them. Get some nice colour on both sides of the thighs and get the skin nice and crispy. This should take around 15 minutes. Be careful not to let the chicken burn as the flames will easily flare up when the chicken fat renders out.
- Once you have got some good colour on the chicken give it it’s first bath in the white sauce mixture. Fully submerge the chicken thighs 1 at a time. Place them on the indirect side of the BBQ. Once all of the thighs have been dipped, place the lid on the BBQ and leave for a few minutes. Ours was running at 225c.
- After a few minutes submerge the chicken again and return to the indirect side of the BBQ. We added some Cherry wood over the coals to add in some smoke flavour.
- Repeat the process until the chicken is cooked all the way through and the internal temperature has reached 72c. Leave to rest for 10 minutes uncovered.
Dip as many times as you like. We dipped our 5 times and it created an amazing glaze and awesome flavour.
If you don’t have our Smokey Chipotle Mayo, you can use regular mayonnaise but add in a pinch of chilli flakes and 1 tsp of paprika.