Phil aka Love2bbquk has been using our rubs and supporting us for many years. He’s done a number of recipes on our site and he’s also an official Smokey Carter brand ambassador. Give him a follow on Twitter @love2bbquk and on Instagram Love2bbquk for lots of delicious meal ideas, recipes and great content. Here’s his recipe for Honey & Soy Kebabs with Asian Slaw.
Yield: 2 People – Prep Time: 10 minutes – Cook Time: 16 minutes
I absolutely love kebabs / skewers, so give me an excuse to cook (and eat) them and I am there. The thing I really love about them is that they are quick and easy to do and punch well above their weight in terms of the flavours they produce.
With having a day-job, they are so easy to prepare (typically around 10 mins) and then take 15-20 minutes to cook so are ideal for a midweek dinner.
The Smokey Carter Rubs are ideal for these kebab cooks. So many of the rubs can be mixed with meat or vegetable, and then left to work their magic until you are ready to cook.
The recipe below features one of the newer rubs from the range – Honey, Soy & Chilli Rub.
For the Kebabs:
- 4 Chicken Thighs (skinless & deboned)
- 3 Tbsp Honey, Soy & Chilli Rub
- 3 Large Spring Onions (cut into 6 pieces)
For the Dipping Sauce:
- ¼ Cup Sesame Oil
- ¼ Cup (Dark) Soy Sauce
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Garlic Clove (crushed0
- 2 Tsp Honey, Soy & Chilli Rub
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tsp Sesame Seeds (optional)
- Dice the Chicken Thighs and place in a bowl. With Chicken Thighs I typically slice in to 3 pieces. This keeps the pieces a really good size.
- Slice your Spring Onion and add to the bowl with the Chicken Thighs.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the Honey & Soy Rub and mix well with the Chicken and Spring Onion. Then place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Whilst the Chicken is marinating, prepare your dipping sauce. Start by adding a pan to the hob and add your Sesame Oil heat through. Add your garlic and cook for 1 minute before adding your Soy Sauce.
- Bring the pan to a simmer then turn the heat down and add the Honey & Soy Rub and Honey. Stir well combining with the mixture.
- Cook for around 5 minutes then add the Brown Sugar. Your pan should be on a medium / low heat. Cook for around 20 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken. If it gets too thick you can add some water to loosen it up.
- Remove from the heat until you are ready to serve.
8. Take your Chicken & Spring Onion out of the fridge slightly before you want to cook.
9. Thread the Chicken and Spring Onion onto your skewers.
10. When your BBQ is at the right temperature (aim for 180-200c) add your skewers and cook for around 16 minutes. Rotate the skewers every 4 minutes.
11. You can brush some of the dipping sauce onto the kebabs, but don’t do this too early into the cook as they may burn due to high sugar content.
12. When ready (I would check with an instant read thermometer) remove from the BBQ and let them rest for 3-4 minutes (I cover with foil to retain the heat).
13. Plate up and serve with Asian Slaw (I used this one https://nadialim.com/crunchy-asian-slaw/) and the dipping sauce you made earlier.